Basics of Faith is a six week course offered periodically at Maywood. The course is geared toward newer Christians and connects faith in Jesus Christ with practices and tools to help grow in spiritual maturity.
Required text: Training: How do I grow as a Christian by Isaac Adams
- Believe: What Should I Know by Mike McKinley
- War: Why Did Life Just Get Harder by Mez McConnell
The above books will be available for purchase from the course instructor at a reduced cost.
Week One: Introduction and Overview
- Training book author introduction video
Week Two: The Bible Overview
- Video: Can I Trust the Bible?
- Video: Is the Bible Inerrant or Infallible?
- Video: How Did We Get the Bible?
- Video: Why are Literary Genres Important When Studying the Bible?
- Video: The Big Story Bible Overview
- Video: What is the Best English Translation?
- Video: Should You Use a Bible Reading Plan?
- Resource: The Books of the Bible “Periodic Table”
- Recommended Study Bibles
- ESV Study Bible
- ESV Concise Study Bible
- Bible Reading Plans
Week Three: Bible Study and Interpretation
- Video: Top 3 Common Mistakes When Studying the Bible
- Video: Can You Do a Devotional in 5 Minutes?
- Resource: Basic Bible Study Skills: Observe, Interpret, and Apply
- Recommended Study Tools:
Week Four: Spiritual Disciplines
- Video: What is the Easiest Way to Memorize Scripture?
- Video: How Do You Pray Without Ceasing?
- Video: How Can I Improve My Prayer Life?
- Video: What is the Purpose of Fasting?
- Blog post: Ten Reasons to Memorize Big Chunks of the Bible
- Recommended Book: Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life by Donald Whitney
Week Five: Church
- Video: Is Tithing Biblical?
- Blog post: What Should I Look for in a Church?
- Sermon link: Baptism and Communion
Week Six: Service, Evangelism, and Growth